Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Posterity will huzza ' for us

Tom Dooley is fini! and it was great. I learned a lot. I wish I had done this in my twenties when I had more energy to stay up 'til the wee hours. I like acting quite a lot.

I had to think fast on my feet during the last performance, my que was distracted by a molassy boilin' and wasn't able to feed me the line. I was making all kinds of things up about Ann Melton's floosy dress and how dare she appear like that at a dance and finally, I yelled for Martha, "Ann's mama is in the barn back there right now..." and so was finally back on script. I don't think anyone in the audience noticed, but now that the save has had to be made by me, I will call myself a professional actor. haha! Tom Hanks bring it on!

Which reminds me... since Tom Dooley is NC outdoor drama, many cast members have some experience at the next level of the industry with script writers and directors from Wilmington as well as actors in New York on Broadway. I now know a person who knows THE person who cast the actors for "John Adams". Really!!

So, now a script must be written for the Revolution, for the southern campaign in NC. It may have to focus on the eastern half of the story since the western half of the story is apparently being expanded upon as we speak. That's okay. All of the eastern part happens in NC until they crossed the SC line and includes some parts played by eastern folks like Richard Caswell.

I wonder what happened to all those costumes from "John Adams"? Many of them would be useful I think.

Well, speaking of the wee hours. We had to break down the set after the last performance. That lasted until about 1:30 am and we were home by 2:30 am Sunday Morning. RG had to unload more things as I went to get ready to sleep. He slipped on the stairs and tore an ACL in his knee! PJ heard him fall and by the time I discovered it he was up and walking but he couldn't bend his knee. No more stairs for him. We moved downstairs to the guest room and now I am thankful I have a guest room even though we don't have too many guests in the 21st century.

So, I'm looking for details about having guests during the revolution. As I recall in the 1600s and early 1700s, the people of Virginia used to stand outside their doors to encourage visitors on the roads to come and stay with them. The origin of Southern Hospitality I guess. But, by the revolutionary times, guests could literally "eat you out of house and home" if there were too many too often.

I found this incidence in an old book I googled:

HOW TO SAVE A DINNER,
General Charles Lee, while at White Plains, in 1776, had his quarters in a small house near the road by which Gen. Washington had to pass when reconnoitring. Returning with his suite, they called in and took a dinner. They were no sooner gone, than Lee told his aids, " You must look me out another place, for I shall have Washington and his pupp'es continually calling on me, and they will eat me up." The next day Lee. seeing Washington out on the like business. and expecting that he should have another visit, ordered his servant to write with chalk upon the door, " No victuals dressed here to-day." When the company approached and saw the writing, they pushed off with much good humor for their own table, without being offended at the habitual eccentricity of the man.


Here were some other interesting stories from that old book. I'm trying to find only the NC or SC ones of interest to me, but some are just too classic to pass up giving to you...

GOOD FEELINGS OF WASHINGTON.

Washington was never known to injure intentionally the feelings of any person, no matter whether his friend or his most hostile enemy. In illustration of this trait, an incident may be related, referring to the surrender at Yorktown. While the continental troops were preparing to receive the British, who were to march forth from the garrison, and deliver up their arms, Washington was heard to remark to the troops—" My brave fellows, let no sensation' of satisfaction for the triumphs you have gained, induce you to insult your fallen enemy—let no shouting, no clamorous huzzaing increase their mortification. It is sufficient satisfaction to us, that we witness their humiliation. Posterity will huzza ' for us."

HICKORY CLUBS.
Baron de Glaubeck having signalized himself in many engagements after the battle of Guilford, General Greene recommended him to the governor of North Carolina, and advised him to put the cavalry of that state under his command. The governor took the general's advice, and accordingly placed the baron at the head of the cavalry; but to his great astonishment, not a man among them had a sword; however, in order to supply the deficiency, he ordered every man to supply himself with a substantial hickory club, one end of which he caused to be mounted with a. heavy piece of iron ; then, to show an example to his men, he threw aside his sword, armed himself with one of these bludgeons, and mounted his horse.

After giving his men the necessary instructions in wielding their clubs, he marched with his whole body, consisting of three hundred, towards Cornwallis's army, in order to reconnoitre his lines, where he arrived the same day, about one o'clock. Cornwallis was then retreating towards Wilmington, and his men being fatigued, had halted to take some refreshment. The baron having seized this favorable opportunity, charged two Hessian piquets, whom he made prisoners ; and routed three British regiments, to whose heads he applied the clubs so effectually, that a considerable number were killed on the spot; and finally he retreated with upwards of sixty prisoners.

ewuuu....powerful clubs even if they were makeshift

Well, use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without, that's what they say. North Carolinians are innovative in all cases.

No comments: