Wednesday, May 13, 2009

You all are getting pottery for Christmas

I have discovered a new bliss. I am working with white clay at Clayworks of the Yadkin County Craft Guild as of this morning.  I got a private lesson!!! as our fearless director asked current students to come clean up for the board meeting tomorrow night. Unfortunately, no volunteers. But, it wasn't so bad. By the time I arrived at a little past nine, she was done with that. I had her all to my self and I have devised a revolutionary way with clay.

All pumped up, I am writing another post. Forgive the corrections on the last one please. I realized I had more to say. 

In Wake County you can find The Eastern Colonial Trading Company and buy all your gear if your powder horn carving skills are rusty. This is near Fuquay-Varina.  Mom gave RG reenactor's clothing from there one Christmas and that's about all he wears when on a Rev. War. mission. (Speeches!)  He bought a hand-made knife featuring damascus steel and a deer horn handle. I had an outfit made as well, but I still need bone stays (for support)  and after that a scarf for modesty. These are LOW cut.

We found these guys in Holly Springs one afternoon a few years ago at a festival event. We thought we had hit pay dirt. There are several "suttler's" in SC and Tenn, but we didn't know of any near us in Surry County.  It's a little drive from Cary to Fuquay now that a million people have moved in (C-Containment A-Area for R-Relocated Y-Yankees: SAID with GREAT Affection!!!) Still, its worth it to reenactors. 

These folks can also direct you to the Lafayette Longrifles, an organization devoted to black powder firearms.  

There are lots of Revolutionary themes in and about Wake County to explore for our Heritage Area.  Consider the grave of Lt. Col. William Polk still in Raleigh.

I have a great web site detailing the activities of the Tory war and the Revolution in Harnett County. I see it is already included in the study, so I will not comment or chase people down.

 This site mentions my Atkins Relatives. So I liked it.  I lived in the town of Angier when I was about three. Mom tells us Dad made a "baby pasture" in the back yard. That would be a fenced-in yard with the little gate that smart animals learn to push up. I learned too and took my 18 month old brother for a walk right down the middle of the street. Mom was teaching school and the baby sitter didn't miss us right away.  A local gentlemen rescued us from the traffic and returned us to the house. Fortunately, Angier was small enough for folks to recognize whose 3 year old that would be.  I see from its web site, it still is! Don't you just love NC?

No comments: