Friday, October 2, 2009

Okay, this is the filming related to Ken Burns

Saturday October 10th 2009 Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail/W. Kerr Scott Dam & Reservoir7:30 AM - 4:00 PMSaturday October 10th 2009 will be National Public Lands Day/NC Big Sweep from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. as the public is invited to help care for our public lands by planting trees, work on trails, and clean up litter. Free lunch will be provided to volunteers and afterwards everyone is encouraged to enjoy the many exhibits we will have such as live snakes, a bee cage, traditional archers, mountain biking, and much more. The Overmountain National Historic Trail Association will have revolutionary war re-enactors, demonstrate traditional crafts, and provide guided tours of the Overmountain Victory Trail. There will be a book swap hosted by UNC-TV's Read-A-Roo. Kids....remember to bring an old book you would like to trade! Click here for activities.

Well its too bad we missed the Aug. 29th meeting of the OVTA board due to two surgeries. I wouldn't have led you astray... I found the email with the NPS director's notes and discovered the OVNHT is not in Ken Burn's series. I still have 50 minutes to hear even a mention of it. Tonight they already included the Appalachian Trail which is part of the Parks Service. Since the trail was not a park until 1980, maybe, just maybe they will mention it.

In 2005, I talked to Ken Burn's agent to inquire what it would take to get him to our anniversary event. I had heard him speak in Charlotte. I knew he would be interested in our history story. Well, it takes A LOT to get Ken Burns to speak. But I did convey the idea.

Here's a secret. I conveyed the idea again this week to a star and I asked him to adopt it. We will see.

No comments: