Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Honest Scrap Award! a meme traveling...what does it mean?





My friend Kheli, has awarded me the Honest Scrap Award! “This award is bestowed upon a fellow blogger whose blog content or design is, in the giver’s opinion, brilliant.”

I am "sweet, beautiful, smart and passionate" according to Kheli !! I am blushing, but I'm not turning it down. So, with GREAT humility I express my thanks. I think her blog, remember your karma, is far more engaging than mine. She actually makes stuff!! She makes quilts and makes them fast and makes them beautiful and then will educate you about them too and then you can probably buy them. Check her out!


Here is how the award works:


1) Say thanks and give a link (in your next blog) to the presenter of the award


2) Share "10 Honest Things" about myself.


3) Present this award to 7 others whose blogs I find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged me.


4) Tell those 7 people they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving.


So, here goes!


10 things about me:


1. I LOVE stories! I love to visit and tell stories. I love to listen to stories. But, I do not tell jokes very well. Go figure.


2.Today is my anniversary. It is the end of the seventh year. Marriage has been a wild ride. But I see it in full bloom now. If he tells me I am "sweet, beautiful, smart and passionate" I will know the bumpy years are behind. You know when we were dating, I once told him he was so beautiful (handsome) and his response was "You're so intelligent." What? HAHAHAHAHA! He was a bit chagrined. So, I decided it was a compliment.


3. I enjoy research. Of all kinds, but especially the meaning of things, the method of things and the next BIG thing.


4. I've been told my gramma was a little clairvoyant. She "knew" things. And really every once in a very great while, I "know" things too... It has not served to keep me out of normal trouble however.


5. I love my coffee in the morning too!


6. I am spending FAR too much time on the internet. I only received permission to drive after a surgery a couple of days ago, so I"m making that my excuse.


7. I want to read a lot, but I don't make time for that regularly. I do have a collection of books that span two rooms. I keep visiting the library used book sale. I like information books, history books, classic books, picture books and science or science fiction. I just love to hold those books and I guess I will read them all by osmosis. I will do fantastic origami, yoga, southern cooking and speak Japanese. I will know all there is to know about design elements and the Southern Campaign. I will understand Einstein and the Plantagenets.


8. I love my son. He is one of the kindest and smartest people I know. He now goes after the thing that catches his attention and invests himself without prodding. I'm trying to be encouraging, but he is so ahead of me. Last night I was educated about some CAT thing on the iphone. I will have to ask him again, but I realize he is a GREAT DESIGN RESOURCE. Just don't give me a test yet. And he is SO much help especially when I could not drive or pick things up. And I love my husband. He is one of the most creative people I know banjo playing ALL the time- He is creative even more than I am and sometimes it is chaos in our house, but it is never boring. We go so much, I often just want to be home.


9. That said, I am a travel nut. AND, I love vacations. AND I love going on vacations where you do NOT have to perform or do the work, hosting or entertaining. I am about playing games, getting a tan and sweet tea. Those of you who know me, cannot believe that. When was the last time I invited you to visit for family game night, or found time to lie in the sand at the ocean, or ever ordered sweeet iced tea on purpose. However, I used to do that. I'm thinking of doing it... probably all the time. I have my priorities. This is the 21st century and we are playing with fire... doing all these things in our heads, virtually, as if we really do them.....Or thinking about when we did do them and when we were younger, only not recognising that thinking about doing things does NOT stand in for actually going outside and we are not "younger". I'm really understanding Jesus' comment about lust in the heart, only in my case its not lust, but its the virtual exercise I get sitting here thinking about family game night, or sand or sweet tea. It feels real and yet nothing really happened. So I blame my performing husband and not the internet. NOT!


10. I do love the revolutionary war. Not that I love war or revolution, but the stories! Reading a first hand account, just like reading a letter, is like visiting with the writer. For example, I have a note from my other grandmother, MaMa, that she wrote to explain the list of names on the back of an envelope from a letter written in about 1907. It is the list of relatives her father told her about when she was ten and reading it makes me hear her voice again. The note was written a very long time ago and was not a note written to me, but a note written to generations to come. Still I hear her and when I see the writing, I see my great-grandfather's handwriting. When I read about the revolution I recall that the great-grandfather of my great-grandfather was there. Its like a letter from him too.



Here are my 7 award winners in addition to remember your karma:


Bill Leslie's Carolina Conversations - Bill is married to a high school classmate of mine. I have his autograph when he played on the WKIX cagers and I was in 9th or 10th grade and he is a lead anchor at WRAL. BUT, most, importantly, he comments on your comments on his blog and its always about the life and times in NC.
Box Of Peanuts- I don't know Chris, but I LOVE his tweets and I keep up with the mindset of ECU. He follows mine too.

Homesteading in a Condo - My friend and former coworker (and her husband) who is also very passionate, sweet, beautiful and VERY Smart and is also a creative who DOES STUFF, not just in her head, but with her hands, who will teach you to compost with your own worms in your own kitchen. Most incredible to me, she knows about food and grows it in container boxes and lives at the top of a large apartment/condo building in Detroit. I am in awe.

Leibson's Law - an engineering blog bringing the future to you. AND he wrote back a time or too.

Overmountain Victory Trail Association- for doing all they do to keep the story alive
Padresteve's World...Musings of a Passionate Mo...- Steve's a wonderful writer and he is also a pastor. I follow his adventures as a soldier and from time to time his analysis of baseball. I've never met him, but his writing has touched and informed me.

Pastry Methods and Techniques - This is another food blog and she is fun! Again, we've never met, but she is from near my hometown and reminds me NC can be REAL, and quite up-town too.

Thanks again to all these bloggers for your inspiration, and thanks to all who read this blog!

No comments: