Thursday, September 3, 2009

Its not okay...

Let me clarify. It's not okay to ever hold people as slaves, period. In our early history, indentured servants like my relatives under the house of the Macons acted as "slaves" for a period of time, but with the knowledge that in seven years they would be free and probably be given land of their own. Given what we know of Nathanial Macon, it seems likely his great-grandparents were similar and I think my family probably had the average hard life of any settler, but a guarantee of shelter, clothing and food.

This is an important clarification. Especially because some people I have discovered believe it is still going on in the Eastern US -- I wasn't going to share this, but it is just too funny. Click here. And we all have a lot of work to do to educate ourselves. That was real.

Head shaking.....

No comments: